Stay Tuned!

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Entertainment

Mark Ruffalo responds to Paramount antisemitism accusation over merger criticism


Mark Ruffalo rejected Paramount’s accusation of antisemitism after criticising company’s proposed Warner Bros. merger

Mark Ruffalo has responded to Paramount after the company accused him of invoking antisemitic tropes while criticising its proposed merger with Warner Bros. Discovery.

The actor said his comments about Paramount-WBD backer Oracle and its involvement in supplying technology amid the Israel-Hamas conflict should not be interpreted as hostility towards Jewish people. 

“The accusation that I am antisemitic is appalling and fundamentally dishonest,” Ruffalo wrote on X.

“Criticizing the actions of the Israeli prime minister, a military technology contract, or the executives who supply it is not the same as criticizing Jewish people.”

Ruffalo said his views came from his political convictions and added that he had “deep love and respect” for Jewish people.

He also highlighted the influence Jewish friends, colleagues and loved ones have had throughout his life.

The actor’s comments followed his criticism of the proposed merger and Oracle executive vice chair Safra Catz’s discussion of technology made available to the Israeli military.

Paramount responded that it was “troubled when antisemitic tropes are invoked in purported service of a business dispute.” 

“This doesn’t deserve a response in kind — and to be clear, we don’t tolerate prejudice of any kind, against anyone,” a Paramount spokesperson said. 

Ruffalo argued that the proposed $111 billion deal could have significant implications for the entertainment industry, including editorial freedom and employment.

He questioned Oracle’s business activities involving data, surveillance technology and government contracts, while also raising concerns about foreign money and its potential influence on editorial decisions. 

“Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have called for serious national security review, and regulators still haven’t given the public a real answer. Until they do, the merger shouldn’t move forward,” Ruffalo said.

Ruffalo previously joined attorney Norm Eisen in April to urge state officials to block the takeover through antitrust measures. 

An open letter opposing the deal collected more than 5,000 signatures and was organised by several industry and advocacy groups. 

The proposed merger follows Paramount Skydance’s $31-per-share offer after Netflix withdrew from its own Warner Bros. deal. 



Source link

mt-admin

About Author

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

Entertainment Film Life & Style Theatre

Cinemas, theatres in Pakistan to close down

The decision comes as an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus in the country LAHORE: Cinema houses, theatres and
Entertainment Life & Style Theatre

Where does the art form stand in Pakistan today?

LAHORE: March 21 marks the World Puppetry Day around the globe. Amid the chaos caused by a global pandemic, the artists